Liverpool City Region realises its potential and its uniqueness to make a significant contribution to the sporting and cultural celebration of London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
The Merseyside 2012 Steering Group positively lead partners within Liverpool City Region to drive maximum economic, sporting and social benefits, to provide its population with every opportunity to engage with the 2012 Games and its legacy.
The overarching aim is to achieve economic, sporting and social benefits of the 2012 Games in the Liverpool City Region by:
- Making a significant contribution to the sporting and cultural celebrations
- Inspiring, celebrating and generating a positive legacy for the community
- Providing the population with every opportunity to engage with the games and its legacy
- Supporting the development of employability and skills development amongst existing workforce – coaches and volunteers and those wishing to enter employment through sport and physical activity
- Supporting the work of other relevant groups where cross cutting themes are identified, particularly education, health, skills and business and volunteering
- Increasing the levels of participation in sport and physical activity to maximise the benefits of the games and of pre games training camps
- Attracting and maximising the benefits of the 2012 Games against sustainable community strategies
- Attracting/accessing/levering in resources to support the aims
- Supporting talented athletes in achieving the highest level of performance and in bringing Olympic and Paralympic medals home to the Liverpool City Region
Below is a joint UK Government and Mayor of London report on the Legacy of the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games: