Make Every Minute Count!
Get your new year off to a flyer and Make Every Minute Count!
Take part in the free ‘Make Every Minute Count’ challenge, and feel great this January; you’ll feel more energised, less stressed, refreshed, and able to beat those Winter blues!
Looking to get more active this new year? You’re not alone, in fact 38% of us in the UK set resolutions at the start of each year to become more active. The good news is that you don’t need to join a gym or start training for a marathon with MSP’s ‘Make Every Minute Count’ challenge – it’s just about fitting small amounts of activity to fit around your working life. Anyone can get involved too, no matter your age, ability or fitness levels.
The eight week challenge starts on Monday 8th January, and challenges you to log at least one mile (or 10 minutes) of physical activity per day – this could be walking, jogging, cycling, taking part in an activity class – whatever you enjoy and fits in to your life. It’s about finding simple ways to do more activity, such as taking the stairs instead of the lift, or parking further away from the office.
You can get involved via three simple steps:
- Sign up for a Workplace Challenge account (or log in if you already have an account)
- Build more chunks of physical activity in to your working day
- Log your activity on the Workplace Challenge website/app – each time you log at least one mile (or 10 minutes) of activity you’ll have the chance to win some great prizes!
Sign up for the challenge by creating a Workplace Challenge account (or click here to log in for existing users).
Prizes to be won
Each time you do your daily activity and log it on the Workplace Challenge website you’ll get the chance to win some fantastic prizes including:
- gift vouchers
- theatre tickets
- signed Liverpool FC & Everton FC books
- a signed LFC shirt and EFC shirt
- a sit/stand desk
- Plus prizes available through the national challenge including Go Ape vouchers, Fitbits and sports equipment
Photo competition – win a signed EFC or LFC shirt
Whether you’re a red or a blue, we’ve got a great prize to be won through the #MakeEveryMinuteCount challenge this week – an Everton and Liverpool shirt signed by their first team squad complete with a certificate of authenticity.
To win either of the shirts you’ll need to enter our photo competition via Twitter or Facebook – show us the sorts of activities that you’re doing inside and outside of work to ‘Make Every Minute Count’. This could be going out for a walk, doing a team workout, playing table tennis – be as creative as you like!
To be in with a chance of winning a signed Everton or Liverpool shirt, simply take a photo of you (and/or your colleagues) being active inside or outside of work via Twitter or Facebook:
- Twitter: Include your photo plus the handle @MerseysideSport and hashtag #MakeEveryMinuteCount. Please also use #EFC or #LFC so we know if you want to win the Everton or Liverpool shirt!
- Facebook: Include your photo plus tag in ‘Merseyside Sports Partnership’ in to your post, plus mention the Make Every Minute Count challenge. Please also use #EFC or #LFC so we know if you want to win the Everton or Liverpool shirt!
Enter your photo by 4pm Monday 22nd January, with an MSP panel deciding the two winners. Entries only open to employees taking part in the #MakeEveryMinuteCount challenge.
Try a new activity!
We’ve put together a timetable of a selection of activity and sport sessions that you can get involved with in your local community:
- Week 2 calendar: Monday 15th Jan to Sunday 21st Jan
- Week 3 calendar: Monday 22nd Jan to Sunday 28th Jan
The activities above are just a flavour of what’s available in your local area. You can also use the following links to find activities taking place near you:
- National: BBC Get Inspired, EMD UK, Let’s Ride (Cycling), Run Together, Walking for Health, Find a Pool
- Merseyside: Checkfit
- Halton: Active Halton
- Knowsley: Cycling in Knowsley, Park walks and activities
- Liverpool: Fit For Me Activity Finder, Liverpool Parks Activity Calendar, free sessions with Liverpool This Girl Can
- Sefton: Active Sefton, Walking and Cycling
- St Helens: Go Active and Healthy Living Team, Cycling in St Helens
- Wirral: Wirral Leisure Centres, Cycling on the Wirral, Walking on the Wirral
You’ll also find plenty of videos and ideas to keep active at work by following MSP on Twitter (@MerseysideSport) and on facebook (/MerseysideSports).